Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies is a very fun and educational place and there are several things going on at Ripley’s.
- Currently two of the penguins, Jimmy and Leo, are sitting on two eggs but we know for sure one is not fertilized and the other we are not sure about. At least it’s a step in the right direction. These bird in the wild are endangered. So the African Penguin is on the protected list and our birds are on an approved breeding list to make sure the blood lines don’t get to close. If you want to learn more about our penguins come to the aquarium and visit them!
- This is shut down for the winter season but it will be coming back soon. Personally, I think it’s one of the less educational shows but it’s still fun for kids and adults alike. Our Mermaid perform a dive show in Touch a Ray Bay. It lasts 5- 10 minutes and after the show they come to the top to take pictures with the guests.
- Dive Shows
- Shark Lagoon- This happens at 9:30. There are three divers in the water feeding the sharks and Sally the Sea Turtle.
- Coral Reef- There are several dive shows through the day so if you miss one you can catch another later in the day. There is a diver inside the tank and on outside the tank and they will be talking about the different fish in the coral reef tank.
- Touch a Ray Bay- There are several dive shows through the day so if you miss one you can catch another later in the day. There is a diver inside the tank and on outside the tank and they are feeding and talking about the different sharks and rays in the tank.
- Penguin Feeding- There are only two shows during the day. There are two members of our husbandry staff in the tank and one diver outside and they are talking about the penguins.
- Splash with the Stingrays- Get close and personal with our stingrays in Touch a Ray Bay.
- Penguin Encounter- Have a one on one experience with one of our Penguins.
- Penguin Painting- Get a custom painting by one of our paintings.
- Sleep with the Sharks- Groups stay at the aquarium over night!
- Weddings- Have your wedding at the aquarium.
- New Exhibit
- Perfect Predators- This is a temporary exhibit so come and see it before it leaves!
Answer to Fun Fact!:
Fun Fact!: Alligators cannot move backwards
Answer in the next blog!